Open Call for Peace Academy Trainer(s)Fiona
Youth Initiative for Human Rights in Kosovo is seeking trainer(s) with experience in peacebuilding to join the Peace Academy as part of the USAID-funded Kosovo Youth Dialogue Activity.
About the organization:
Youth Initiative for Human Rights – Kosovo (YIHR KS), established in 2004, is a human rights organization which works towards protecting and promoting human rights and democratic values not only in Kosovo but also in the Western Balkans region. In particular, YIHR KS is focused on the processes of dealing with the past, protecting human rights and the rule of law, and strengthening youth at the local and regional levels.
Purpose of the Kosovo Youth Dialogue Activity:
‘Kosovo Youth Dialogue’ is a seventy-two (72) month project with the main goal of empowering young people to participate in confronting the past and the reconciliation process in Kosovo by encouraging inter-ethnic communication, interaction and cooperation, addressing common ground interests, building trust and promoting mutual understanding and positive attitudes.
Activity concept and purpose:
To further strengthen the capacities of NGOs and other peace practitioners, there is a need to create a pool of trainers/facilitators from different ethnic backgrounds who are willing and fully capable of facilitating activities that bring together young people from conflicting sides. As there is a very limited number of such educators, the Kosovo Youth Dialogue Activity seeks to build the next generation of peace educators through the Peace Academy program. The program will target NGO employees, psychologists, teachers, social workers, youth workers, and other peace practitioners who already have some knowledge on these topics but would be interested in further advancing their skills in this field and becoming certified trainers/facilitators.
Topics that will be tackled during the Academy include, but are not limited to: teaching transitional justice to youth, education for peace, intercultural dialogue, youth empowerment, conflict transformation, and activism. The program will have a theoretical and practical approach, training all the participants on how to teach and facilitate activities with youth on these topics. They will then go to high schools to deliver and facilitate educational sessions with high school students all across Kosovo.
We are looking for experienced peacebuilding and conflict resolution trainers to facilitate the Peace Academy as the first of its kind in Kosovo. Our organization is dedicated to creating a more peaceful society, and one of the ways to do that is by empowering young people to develop and enhance their skills in peacebuilding training.
- Substantial knowledge of the theory of the training subjects (transitional justice, dealing with the past and/or intercultural dialogue);
- Relevant hands-on experience in areas related to the training subject;
- Previous work with international or other local organizations on dealing with the past process is highly desirable;
- Experience in planning and delivering training sessions either formal or non-formal;
- Openness to work in a multi-ethnic environment;
- Excellent skills of the training language (English);
- Strong communication skills, ability to recognize and respond to participants’ needs; be objective and show a willingness to implement constructive feedback;
- Being aware of various power relations and one’s own role as well as taking an anti-discriminatory stance and promoting inclusive values;
- Incorporating the principles of “Do No Harm” approach to the training practices;
- Knowledge of the role of civil society organizations in dealing with the past process in Kosovo;
- Knowledge about Kosovo and Western Balkans socio-political context.
Trainer(s) engagement description:
- Participation in regular preparatory meetings with YIHR KS project team;
- Conceptualizing the program and agenda for the Peace Academy with YIHR KS project team;
- Facilitating the training;
- Participation in evaluation meetings with YIHR KS project team after Peace Academy;
- Preparation of other relevant documents which are defined in cooperation with the YIHR KS project team.
Details of the engagement:
- Date: April – May;
- Place: Residential activity to be held in Kosovo;
- Duration: Up to 2 weeks max. time needed to design the methodology, agenda and necessary materials;
- The total engagement lasts 8 days, the activity is implemented 2 times by 4 days, (to be decided with the project team as necessary);
- The working language will be English;
- Travel and accommodation expenses covered by YIHR KS;
- Participants: group of 15 people (NGO employees, psychologists, teachers, social workers, youth workers, and peace practitioners).
To apply, send your resume (CV), and requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Peace Academy Trainer” by March 12, 2023.
- Motivation letter including information on availability,
- Contact details of two people who can be contacted for a reference,
- A general training concept and outline example.
Deadline: March 12, 2023
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.